Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Chicken and noodles

Tammy asked about my recipe for chicken and noodles. I'm so thrilled someone actually wants to know! Bless your heart, Tammy!

It's such a simple recipe, but it really is delicious. My husband grew up eating these and used to make them. I just started making them, but my last pot was superbly delicious.

It's my mother-in-law's invention. She is notorious for never having a recipe. She's also the queen of simple, but absolutely delicious food. As a farmer's wife with 7 children, she has tons of cooking experience.

Here are the ingredients:

chicken
No Yolks Egg noodles
chicken broth
butter
salt
pepper
onion, optional

I like to use breast meat on the bone. I salt and pepper the chicken and cook it in my crockpot and after it's all tender and wonderful, I shred it, making sure to get it nice and bone free! I keep about two cups of chicken stock to cook my noodles in.

I cook the noodles with the chicken stock, some water, and usually one can of chicken broth. I can't be specific about the amounts, but remember you won't be draining the noodles. We don't like the chicken and noodles real soupy. It's best if you have enough liquid remaining to keep them moist, but not soupy.

If you want to add some chopped onion, you can add it as you are boiling the noodles. I forgot to add it last time and it came out just fine.

After the noodles are cooked, I add the chicken and put butter in and stir it around, so it gets all melted and lovely. You could skip the butter too. You could, but I can't. I think there would be a mutiny on my hands. I add 3/4 of a stick of butter. When my husband fixes it, he puts in the whole stick.

Then I salt and pepper to taste. It always tastes better the second day. And since I have a small family of three, we always have leftovers for at least one more meal.

Embarrassingly simple, but it really is fantastic!

2 comments:

Svr said...

It sounds very yummy! Ya know, I have found that the simpler meals are usually the best. My grandma made a casserole I have on my site called Grandma's Casserole, It is so incredibly simply and inexpensive but yet so satisfying.

Thanks for posting this. My Stepdaughter always says she loves chicken & noodles and I never really understood what she was talking about. ;)

A. said...

Yeah, that sounds really good. I'd probably go for the whole stick of butter, too.

I agree with Tammy. Simple meals around here are always the best and most appreciated.

I experiment every so often but mostly my guys are happy if I stick to the basics.